Printer-friendly version

Current Size: 100%

Bouchain, Ville fortifiée

59111 Bouchain
Under Vauban in the 17th century, Bouchain consolidated its role as a fortified place: the fortifications of Charles V (16th century) were modernized and reinforced, and gave the town of Bouchain the shape of a star designed to protect it. A success: under Louis XIV, Bouchain was never taken. Fortified since the 12th century, everything was done there to stop the advance of the enemies: The dungeon (cf illustration at the top), called Tour d'Ostrevant, dates from the 12th century. It was the fortified dwelling of the lord, and served, from the outset, as a watchtower, then as a prison, as a canon base, as a warehouse for the Genius and today as a museum. Also to be discovered: The bastion of the Forges, of 1535, is the last vestige, along the Scheldt, of the fortified enclosure of the citadel. The other three sides of the citadel were protected by ditches filled with water, thus constituting an obstacle for the assailants. The powder magazine, built by Vauban in 1687, was used to store 150 tons of gunpowder contained in wooden barrels. During the siege of 1711, it served as a hospital to treat the wounded. The mask casemated dates from 1844. These are rooms connecting the oldest fortifications. They further strengthen the defense of the city to the north. The arsenal, the present ballroom of the town of Bouchain. At its construction in 1845, this building served as a depot for armament and military equipment. The reserve of guns was in the yard on planks.
Photos Opinions
  • Bouchain, Ville fortifiée 1 - Bouchain
  • Bouchain, Ville fortifiée 1 - Bouchain
Photos Opinions